Overview & background
Fieldwire provides an Open RESTful API (application program interface) to customers on the Premier plan, or who have added API access to their Pro/Business plan in conjunction with our sales team.
Please request a demo if you're interested in finding out more about how you can use our API and/or upgrading you account to access it.
Our API allows you to do anything that you can do in the Fieldwire user interface (and more), but with coding! Some popular ways our customers use the API are to bulk import existing Project data from other systems to Fieldwire when making the switch to our platform, synchronize data between other software platforms and Fieldwire, automatically copy Fieldwire plans and documents to their own servers, and analyze large amounts of data across multiple Projects. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
How to activate developer access & Request an API Token for your Fieldwire Account
Account Owners and Managers can request Developer Access and API Tokens, see if API Access is enabled or disabled, and view our API Documentation under the 'API Settings' section of the 'Account' tab on your Fieldwire Account Home page.
How to activate developer access
1. Talk to our Accounts Team to get an API demo and purchase a custom Premium Fieldwire subscription with API access.
2. Navigate to the Home page on Fieldwire web, click to view your 'Account' tab, and scroll down to the 'API Settings' section at the very bottom.
3. Click the link to 'Request API developer access':
3. A popup to email email@example.com to Request API developer access will appear - please include the context for your request and be sure to click the blue 'Send' button:
4. Our team will reply (the same day) via email to confirm we've activated your account's API access.
How to retrieve your account's API Key once we've granted you developer access
1. Follow the instructions above to get your developer access activated.
2. Now when you go to the same 'API Settings' at the bottom of the 'Account' tab of your Fieldwire Home page, the link to 'Request API developer access' will be gone. If it's not, you still need to follow the instructions above to request access. If you're seeing a link to 'Request API token' in its place, then you're good to go. Click that link to proceed:
3. Click 'Confirm' in the popup:
4. The popup will now reveal your account's unique API token. Be sure to keep this token stored in a secure place, as you will not be able to access it again once you close the popup.
If you accidentally close the popup or want to get a new API token in the future, just re-do the steps in this section and we'll generate a new token for your account. At that point, your old token will automatically be de-activated, and you'll want to replace it with your new token anywhere it's in use.
If you have any issues retrieving your API token after following these instructions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.