Plan view is where the magic happens. When you click on a specific plan, it is enlarged and a number of important options relating to tasks, markups, and hyperlinks become available to you:
- Add a new task. You can press the map pin icon in the toolbar to add new tasks, which we’ll discuss in the markup section (#3).
- Manage the tasks assigned to that plan sheet. You can edit tasks by clicking on the pin and adding comments, photos, attachments, and categories, or you can email the task to other users. If you are an Admin, you are also able to delete the task entirely.
- Markup the plans. To access the markup tools, click on the black box with the upward arrow in the bottom right corner of the screen. This will make a vertical toolbar appear along the right side of the screen, and this toolbar features an array of buttons that will allow you to markup the plan. From top to bottom, the tool icons are:
- Marker Pin (Add a new task): To create a new task, first click on this pin icon and then click on the area of the map you wish to drop that new task. The task editing screen will then appear.
- Chain (Create a hyperlink): Click this chain icon and then click the area of the plan that you want to place the link. You can link to other sheets, attachments, and photos using this function.
- Pencil (Draw on the plan): Clicking this pencil icon will let you draw lines and make general markups to the plan. Once clicked, you can select between a regular line or several translucent highlighter options.
- Cloud (Outline an area): Clicking this will allow you to surround an area you wish to draw attention to. You can create a cloud-like border around whatever you want by dragging your finger across the screen to the appropriate size (similar to the text box function).
- Shapes (Create shapes): Similar to the cloud tool, you can use this to choose a shape and surround an area on the plan.
- “Aa” (Text Box): Click on this icon to add a text box. Once you click it, you will be able to drag your finger across the screen to create a text box of whatever size you choose. Once you lift your finger away from the screen, the option to add your comment or description inside of the box will appear.
- Ruler (Measurement tools): Click on this icon to open up the measurement tools. You can calibrate distance, record new length measurements, and scale area within a shape that you create.
- Line (Add lines and arrows): Clicking on this allows you to choose between a straight line, a multi-point line, or an arrow to leave on the plan. When creating a multi-point line, a mini-toolbar will appear to allow you to confirm, undo, or cancel the line you're making.
- Color (Red Circle): Clicking this icon will allow you to choose from several colors. This affects the color of the pen, highlighter, arrow, text, and cloud tools.
- Move (Crossed arrows): Clicking this icon will allow you to move around any markups or tasks you’ve made with the previous tools on the plan. Once you click it, every markup will be highlighted and you’ll be able to move them around as you see fit.
- Trash Can (Delete): Click on the trash can icon to highlight all the markups on the plan. You can then click on any of these markups and they will be deleted. Be careful when using this tool, though - any markups that you delete will be deleted for everyone else on the project!
Task pins in the plan view will appear in either color or gray. The pins will appear in color if you have selected a certain category from the Projects page or navigation column. Task pins will appear in gray if you have selected a category or other filter criteria that is not associated with those specific tasks. Also, as tasks are verified, they will automatically begin to be archived and removed from view.
You can zoom in and out of the plan view by stretching the screen with your fingers.
It’s also important to note that when you select a particular plan to view, Fieldwire will automatically show you the latest/active version of that plan. You can access older versions of this sheet by swiping upward with your thumb. This will pull up the older version of the plan into view. Older versions of the plans will have a red watermark in their center to make it clear that you are not viewing the current versions. Swipe back down to return to the most recent sheet.
The eyeball icon in the top right corner allows you to temporarily remove any markups and tasks from the plan. When you click on it, you will be able to select which plan layers (tasks, markups, links, attachments, or photos) you wish to hide, or you can choose to hide all layers. You can bring them all back by clicking them again.
Finally, to view your plan in a different orientation, simply rotate your device and Fieldwire will update the display accordingly.