Overview & background
The photos tab contains all photos that have been added to whichever Fieldwire project you're viewing. Any photos you added on tasks or as a hyperlinks on a plan will automatically appear under the 'Photos' tab. You can perform multiple actions from this tab, including uploading new photos, attaching existing photos to tasks, and tagging photos. Once you open a photo, you are able to navigate to the task the photo is associated with, download the photo, and make markups on it.
How to use the photos tab on Web
When you select the 'Photos' tab, you'll be led to a page where you can view all of the photos that have been added to your project throughout its duration. Photos are automatically displayed in folders, organized in chronological order by the date the photos were added to Fieldwire:
How to upload new photos on Web
Uploading photos on the web is similar to uploading plans or files to Fieldwire. You will choose where the photos are stored, and then upload them to Fieldwire from that source.
Fieldwire supports .png, .jpg, .gif, .jpeg, .bmp, and .svg file types.
2. After you select the source and photos, select 'upload'. The photos will then begin to process:
3. You'll know the photos have completed processing when you see their selectable thumbnails, which you can use to select and tag them, attach them to tasks, and export using 'Actions':
The Actions menu
After you select one or more photos, the Actions menu will become illuminated. This menu provides you with the options to:
- Attach the photo(s) to an existing Task.
- Export the photo(s) via email.
- Add tags to the photo(s).
Note: When you choose to attach a photo to a task, you will be prompted to search for the task using the task name or number:
Filter photos on Web
You can filter your photos by various Parameters on the web:
Select the 'Filter photos' option in the top-right corner to sort your photos by:
- Assignee: Who captured the Photo.
- Tags: Tags you've manually added to photos.
- Time Filters: A specific date range to isolate when photos were added.
You can also filter photos using the categories on the left menu:
- My Photos: Photos you've added.
- All Photos: All photos in the project.
Photo View on Web
If you click on any photo, you'll be brought to the single photo view. Here, you can:
- View a date/time stamp with the name of the user who added that photo to Fieldwire (right side)
- See all the tags that photo currently has, as well as remove or add them (right side)
- IF the photo was taken using the Fieldwire iOS or Android mobile app, you'll see GPS coordinates of where the photo was taken, with a link to view on Google Maps (right side)
- Quick action buttons (in the upper-left): Download the photo. If the photo is attached to a task or plan, you can also select the arrow button in the top left corner of the image to go to that task or plan. If the photo is attached to a task, you can click the pencil icon to make photo markups:
Note: To capture GPS information in Photos, make sure that the 'Fieldwire' app can access your location. This is typically on by default on Android devices; here's how to ensure it's working on iOS:
Settings > Fieldwire > Location > While Using the App
Note: The GPS coordinates of Photos taken through Fieldwire on iOS are stored in the EXIF data of the photo. This means that, in addition to viewing the coordinates in Fieldwire, you can access the GPS coordinates even when you export photos from Fieldwire. Refer to this article for instructions on how to view the EXIF data of a photo file on Windows and Mac (outside of your Fieldwire app).
Photos on Fieldwire mobile apps (iOS and Android)
The 'photos' tab in the Fieldwire mobile apps is quite similar to the same tab on web. The key differences are:
1. The photos tab on mobile is designed for quick and easy access to your project photos in the field, so you aren't able to attach photos to tasks, export photos, or tag photos on mobile.
2. How you create markups on photos when on your mobile device. Take a look at this article for additional details about markups on your Mobile Device.
3. Select the '+' option to add photos on-the-fly or from the camera roll on your device. Business subscribers can also select the '360°' option to capture and add 360° photos.
Photos tab on iOS:
Photos tab on Android:
The single photo view on iOS
If you tap on any photo, you are able to view photo metadata, including the date/time stamp of the photo. You can also jump to any photo that is associated with a task by selecting the blue arrow icon in the top-right corner. If the arrow is greyed-out, the photo is not associated with a task:
|The Photo is associated with a Task:||The Photo is not associated with a Task:|
The single photo view on Android
If you tap on any photo, you are able to view photo metadata, including the date/time stamp of the photo. The key difference is that the photo view on Android:
- Specifies if the task is associated with a Task Pin or Plan.
- Allows you to add Markups directly from the Photos tab when the photo is attached to a task.
|The photo is attached to a Task||The photo is hyperlinked to a Plan||The photo is associated with neither.|
These articles provide more information about photos in Fieldwire: