Overview & background
RFIs are designed to formally communicate questions with the design team, client, or general contractor that will likely affect the contract scope, drawings, and/or specifications. Using the Fieldwire app, you can quickly and conveniently create, discuss, and close RFIs on mobile or web.
Whether you are online, offline, in the office, or on-site, you can use the Fieldwire app to generate custom forms including RFI forms, or you can use our new RFI project management module. Within Fieldwire's RFIs you can:
- Populate general information such as date, where the RFI is occurring, and how it may impact the cost and schedule.
- Ask your RFI question, often from the field, take photos and make suggestions.
- Answer and close the RFI.
Completing an RFI
- Assignee - The person responsible for filling out the RFI at a given time. You have the option to re-assign the RFI to someone you might need input from.
- Status - When creating an RFI, the Status will default to "Draft".
- Due Date - The form creator can add a 'Due Date' to indicate the expected day the form will need to be completed by. Any assignee and the admin can update the date after the form has been created.
- Sent / Due / To / From - Mandatory fields to document when the RFI was sent, when there needs to be answer by, who will be sent the RFI, and who is sending the RFI.
- Ref. Drawings - Plan drawings that are related to the RFI.
- Ref. Specs - Open field to identify relevant section from spec book.
- Cost Impact / Schedule Impact - Estimate of what the RFI might cost and how it will affect the schedule. The checkbox contains options to mark the item as 'yes', 'no', or 'n/a'.
- Question - Mandatory field where the question and all additional information should be entered. For example, "The client requests to change the carpet color to navy blue in room 101."
- Suggestion - Optional field to add in a suggestion of how to handle the RFI.
- Attachments - Option to upload photos, existing photos, new files, existing files, and crop a plan in reference to the RFI.
- Submitted by - Drop-down list to communicate who filled out and submitted the RFI Question.
- Response - Open field to answer the RFI Question. For example, "Yes, we can change the carpet color to navy blue in room 101."
- Attachments - Option to upload photos, new files, existing files, crop a plan, and existing photos (Photos that are stored in your Photos Tab) in reference to the RFI. Note: If you choose to attach an "Existing photo", that photo will be shown again in the "Photos" tab since it is now associated with the Form. Note: You can upload files up to 200mb and photos up to 50mb.
- Answered by / Answered date - Drop Down list to communicate who actually answered the RFI and the date they did it.
- Refer to this article for information about notifications
- If you’re experiencing error messages due to unsynced or missing information, refer to this article
- If you're interested in learning about Fieldwire's other Form options, check out this article