Overview & background
Fieldwire provides an Open RESTful API (application program interface) to customers on the Premier plan, or who have added API access to their Pro/Business plan in conjunction with our sales team.
Please request a demo if you're interested in finding out more about how you can use our API and/or upgrading your account to access it.
Our API allows you to do anything that you can do in the Fieldwire user interface (and more), but with coding! Some popular ways our customers use the API are to bulk import existing Project data from other systems to Fieldwire when making the switch to our platform, synchronize data between other software platforms and Fieldwire, automatically copy Fieldwire plans and documents to their own servers, and analyze large amounts of data across multiple Projects. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
How to activate developer access & generate API Tokens for your Fieldwire Account
Account Owners and Managers can request Developer Access, generate API tokens, see if API Access is enabled or disabled, and view our API Documentation under the 'API Settings' section of the 'Account' tab on your Fieldwire Account Home page.
How to activate developer access
1. Talk to our Accounts Team to get an API demo and purchase a custom Premium Fieldwire subscription with API access.
2. Navigate to the Home page on Fieldwire web, click to view your 'Account' tab, and scroll down to the 'API Settings' section at the very bottom.
3. Click the link to 'Request API developer access':
3. A popup to email firstname.lastname@example.org to Request API developer access will appear - please include the context for your request and be sure to click the blue 'Send' button:
4. Our team will reply (the same day) via email to confirm we've activated your account's API access.
How to generate API keys once we've granted you developer access
1. Follow the instructions above to get your developer access activated.
2. Now when you navigate to the same 'API Settings' section at the bottom of the 'Account' tab of your Fieldwire Home page, the link to 'Request API developer access' will be gone. (If it's not, you still need to follow the instructions above to request access). If you're seeing a link to 'Manage tokens' in its place, then you're good to go. Click that link to proceed:
3. Click 'New Token' to generate an API key for your account.
Note: Up to 10 API keys can be generated per Fieldwire account. Please ensure that they are stored safely and only shared with authorized individuals.
4. Give your API key a unique name, then click "Create".
5. The following popup will now reveal a unique API token. Be sure to keep this token stored in a secure place, as you will not be able to access it again once you close the popup.
If you accidentally close the popup, you can revoke the token and generate a new one.
Revoking will deactivate the old token, and you'll want to replace it with your new token anywhere it's in use.
If you have any issues with API tokens after following these instructions, please email email@example.com.
API Developer Page
Once you have access to our API, please head to our API Developers doc for guidance.
To see recent changes in the API structure, please view our changelog.
Sign up for API Changelog email notifications
Subscribe to the RSS feed changelog.
Note: Custom Task Status API calls aren't visible on our API Developers doc yet. Please make sure to follow this guide for CTS API calls.
- What defines a Premier customer?
- How can I view the API documentation?