Just as there are varying access options for Account Users, there are also several permission levels available for Project Users. Open any Project and click the 'People' icon in the bottom left corner of the interface to see the list of users present on that specific project, organized by level of access and ability to alter the project. There are three types of project users: Admins, Members, and Followers.
Subscriptions: Basic, Pro, Business, Premier (Fieldwire Pricing and Overages)
Permissions: Account and Project Members can view the People tab. Admins can also alter user permission levels.
Platforms: Web and iOS/Android Apps
Table of Contents
- Project Admins
- Project Members
- Project Followers
- PM Permissions
- Table of all Project User Types & Permissions
- How to Change a Project User's Permission Level
Project Admins have full access and control over every aspect of the project. In addition to sending invites/granting permissions to other users, they have the following abilities:
- Project: Delete the project. (Creating a new project automatically designates you as an Admin on that project).
- Plans: Upload and rename plans. Admins are also the only type of user that can delete plans. They can add private and public markups, hyperlinks, and attachments as well.
- Tasks: Create new and view all tasks and categories, as well as assign tasks to other users. Other user types can update and complete tasks, but only Admins can mark tasks as Verified.
- Forms: Access any form on the Project (see "What can each type of user/permission level do with Forms?" for more info). They can also import Forms to the Project from the Account, and push Forms from the Account to the Project (Account Form Templates).
Project Admins and Custom Task Statuses
Project Admins have access to the ‘Settings’ tab, so they have access to the ‘Manage Status’ modal. In addition, Project Admins can access the Custom Status Modal directly from the Kanban view. (See this article for more information: Custom Task Statuses).
Project Admins can create and edit Task Statuses. They can also update the name, color, order, type, and permission set associated with the Task Status. Since Project Admins can determine the permission set associated with each status, they can make Task statuses available to ‘Admins only’, ‘Admins and Members’, and ‘All Users’:
Project Members can execute most actions within a project as well as its plans and tasks, but they generally can only delete items that they themselves have added. Also, they can facilitate the following:
- Project: Invite other users to the project (an Admin has to approve the invite before the recipient can accept it). They cannot edit other project users' permissions.
- Plans: Export single plan sheets as PDFs, but not multiple plans at once. They cannot create or delete plans. They can add public and private markups, hyperlinks, and attachments to plans, but only delete those that they created themselves (including photos). Similarly, they can add files to the project, but they can only delete those they've uploaded themselves (either directly on the plan, or via the Files tab).
- Files : can upload Files, but they cannot create Files folders
- Tasks: Create and view all tasks, but they cannot create or delete categories. They can mark tasks as Completed, but not Verified. They cannot delete tasks that contain any content, but they can delete empty tasks.
Note: Members cannot batch delete tasks. To delete empty tasks, members will have to remove them manually from the status section of the task:
Project Followers cannot invite, remove, or edit permissions for any users in the Project. They can create their own private plan markups, add their own tasks, and view tasks they are assigned to or are watchers on. Followers cannot edit other users' public markups or view tasks that they are not assigned to or watchers on. They can:
- Plans: View plans, but they cannot upload or delete them. They can create and delete their own Private Markups and add photo hyperlinks, but they cannot delete photos other than their own. They can view (but not upload, edit, or delete) public files. They can view (but not edit or delete) public markups, hyperlinks, and attachments.
- Plans: Followers can view markup details (creator, creation date, "last modified by" date). However, they cannot adjust the properties (line thickness, opacity, and color) of the markups that another user has made.
- Tasks: Create new tasks and delete new tasks they have created, as long as no attributes have been set or content added to the task. They cannot create or delete categories, or delete a task once any content has been added to it. They can only see tasks that are currently or were previously assigned to them (all other tasks are hidden from their view).
Note: Project followers can only delete empty tasks or move the location of a task on the web. These options are not available in our mobile apps.
- Photos: Followers will be able to see photos if:
- The follower is assigned to (or is a watcher on) a task with photos.
- The photos are hyperlinked directly to a plan, as opposed to being added to a task that is linked to the plan.
- The photos were uploaded directly to the Photos tab.
Outside of ‘Field Access’, if PM is enabled on the Account and the Project, Project Admins have the option to adjust the ‘PM Access’ level of users (See this article for more information about our Project Management modules: How to Enable PM and Manage Companies on a Project).
A user’s PM access level will determine how they can interact with RFIs, Submittals, and Change Orders. All users will be automatically added as Managers when invited to the project, but this can be changed to make the user a Contributor. To adjust the ‘PM Access’ level of a user, choose the drop-down menu under the ‘PM access’ column:
Note: At present, in regard to Submittals, there is no distinction between Managers and Contributors. All users in the Submittal assignee’s company can take action on the submittal in its current state. There are 3 groups of users that have different views, actions, and edit permissions depending on the Submittal ‘Status’:
- Assignee company’s users - Any user in the current assignee’s company can take action on the Submittal.
- Users not in the assignee’s company
- Submittal creator company’s users
Table of all Project User Types & Permissions
How to Change a Project User's Permission Level
To update a project user's permission level, click on the Person icon located in the bottom left-hand corner of your Project.
After clicking on the Person Icon, you will see a list of all the users who have access to the project. If there's a project user whose permission level you need to change:
1. Go to the Access level associated with that user
2. Click on the drop-down
3. Choose the appropriate permission level. (Remember, per the table above, only Project Admins can make these changes).
For more insights and detailed functionality into Project permissions, please see the following articles: