Overview & background
Open any Project and click the 'People' icon at the bottom of the left menu to see the users invited to that specific project, organized based on their level of access and ability to alter the project. There are three main types of project users: Admins, Members, and Followers:
Project Admins have full access and control over every aspect of the project, including sending invites/granting permissions to other users. They can:
- Project: Delete the project. Creating a new project automatically sets you as an Admin.
- Plans: Upload and rename plans. Admins are also the only type of user that can delete plans. Add private and public markups, hyperlinks, and attachments (to and/all plans).
- Tasks: Create new and view all tasks and categories, as well as assign tasks to other users. Other user types can update and complete tasks, but only Admins can mark tasks as Verified.
- Forms: Access any form on the Project. Import Forms to the Project from the Account, and push Forms from the Account to the Project.
Project Admins and Custom Task Statuses
Project Admins have access to the ‘Settings’ tab, so they have access to the ‘Manage Status’ modal. In addition, Project Admins can access the Custom Status Modal directly from the Kanban View. Read this article for more information: Custom Task Statuses
Project Admins can create and edit Task Statuses. They can also update the name, color, order, type, and permission set associated with the Task Status. Since Project Admins can determine the permission set associated with each status, they can make it so that Task statuses are available to ‘Admins only’, ‘Admins and Members’, and ‘All Users’:
Project Members can execute most actions within a project as well as its plans and tasks, but they generally can only delete things they've added themselves. They can:
- Project: Invite other users to the project - an Admin has to approve the invite before the invitee can accept it - but they cannot edit other project users' permissions.
- Plans: Export single plan sheets at PDFs, but not multiple plans at once. They cannot create or delete plans. They can add public and private markups, hyperlinks, and attachments to plans but only delete those that they created themselves, including photos. Similarly, they can add files to the project, but they can only delete those they've uploaded themselves (directly on the plan or via the Files tab).
- Tasks: Create and view all tasks, but they cannot create or delete categories. They can mark tasks as Completed, but not Verified. They cannot delete tasks with any content, but they can delete empty tasks.
Note: Members cannot batch delete tasks. To delete empty tasks, members will have to remove them manually from the status section of the task:
Project Followers cannot invite, remove, nor edit permissions for any users in the Project. They can create their own private plan markups, create their own tasks, and view tasks they are assigned to or are watchers on. Followers cannot edit other users' public markups or view tasks they are not assigned to or watchers on. They can:
- Plans: View plans, but they cannot upload or delete them. They can create and delete their own Private Markups and add photo hyperlinks, but they cannot delete photos other than their own. They can view, but not upload, edit, or delete public files. They can view but not edit or delete public markups, hyperlinks, and attachments.
- Plans: Followers can view markup details (creator, created at the date, last modified by, last modified date). However, they cannot adjust the properties (line thickness, opacity, and color) of the markup another user has made.
- Tasks: Create new tasks and delete new tasks they have created as long as no attributes have been set or content added to the task, but they cannot create or delete categories, nor delete a task once any content has been added to it. They can only see tasks that are currently or were previously assigned to them (all other tasks are hidden from their view).
Note: Project followers can only delete empty tasks or move the location of a task on the web. These options are not available in our mobile apps.
- Photos: Followers will be able to see photos if:
- The follower is assigned to or is a watcher on, a task with photos.
- The photos are hyperlinked directly to a plan, as opposed to added to a task that is linked to the plan.
- The photos were uploaded directly to the Photos tab.
Table of all Project User Types & Permissions