Overview & background
Whether you're in pre-construction, project execution or project close-out, or even if you're simply looking for a way to communicate effectively within your business, you need Fieldwire tasks!
Why use tasks in Fieldwire
No matter what work is being undertaken, there are always questions, observations and/or issues which need to be addressed in a visible and straightforward manner. Fieldwire tasks replace haphazard phone calls and emails, and are a catch-all way of documenting the following:
- QA / QC issues
- Inspection observations
- Punch items or deficiencies
- Safety issues
- RFI's and change orders
- Work progress
- Design and pre-con coordination
- General communication and instant messaging between team members
What is a task?
To create a task on plan, simply select the pin icon on the markup toolbar.
Adding a task on web
Adding a task on mobile
Once you've added a task, you can then populate the task.
An example task view on the web
You'll notice that this task, in particular, is tracking a construction activity: drywall patching. On the lefthand side, there is the correspondence between Colleen, Beth and Dan. This correspondence includes:
- A related task, which is simply a linked task
- A checklist, which tracks the initials and date that each item has been checked off
- These checklists can be inserted from templates, making the task set-up very quick
- Time and date stamped correspondence
- A detailed plan mark-up (referred to as a Crop Plan), added by selecting the paperclip attachment button
- A link to a PDF file
- A marked up photo which Beth took on her mobile device in real time
To the right, you'll see the task attributes which allow you to manage and filter your task data. These attributes are the backbone of Fieldwire's task management capabilities and are the mechanism by which you can improve the efficiency of your projects, allowing you to:
Task attributes are outlined in detail in this article
No matter the stage of your task, you can distribute it in 3 different ways: email it directly from Fieldwire, copy & paste the information, or export it as a PDF. This is useful to inform project members who are not utilizing Fieldwire.
Advanced Task Features
As your projects expand and you build up more and more tasks, we have developed a number of advanced features that allow you to manage tasks in a very time-efficient manner, such as:
Tutorial Video on Creating Tasks
Tutorial Video on Managing Tasks
Video Tutorial on Advanced Task Features
Tutorial on Exporting and Importing Tasks