Overview & background
Whether you're in pre-construction, project execution or project close-out, or even if you're simply looking for a way to communicate effectively within your business, you need Fieldwire tasks!
Why use tasks in Fieldwire
No matter what work is being undertaken, there are always questions, observations and/or issues which need to be addressed in a visible and straightforward manner. Fieldwire tasks replace haphazard phone calls and emails, and are a catch-all way of documenting the following:
- QA / QC issues
- Inspection observations
- Punch items or deficiencies
- Safety issues
- RFI's and change orders
- Work progress
- Design and pre-con coordination
- General communication and instant messaging between team members
What is a task?
To create a task directly on plan, simply open any individual plan from the 'Plans' tab and select the pin icon on the markup toolbar:
It looks slightly different, but you can also do this in our mobile apps:
Once you've created a task, you can then quickly fill out the fields most relevant to your team and workflows. Here's an example of a task with all its attributes (right side) filled out and a few examples of messages and attachments you can add at any time (left side):
You may have noticed that our example task above is tracking a construction activity: drywall patching. On the left, you can see the correspondence (instant messages and attachments) between Colleen, Beth and Dan, including:
- Task Title ("Drywall patching" in the example) - give your tasks practical titles that will be easy to search for later on. Titles have a 255 character maximum, and the first message you add to the Task automatically becomes the title if you haven't already set the title field directly.
- A related task, which is simply a linked task
- A checklist, which tracks the initials and date that each item has been checked off
- These checklists can be inserted from templates, making the task set-up very quick
- Time and date stamped correspondence
- A detailed plan mark-up (referred to as a Crop Plan), added by selecting the paperclip attachment button
- A link to a PDF file
- A marked up photo which Beth took on her mobile device in real time
On the right, you'll see task attributes, which allow you to manage and filter your task data. These attributes are the backbone of Fieldwire's task management capabilities and are the mechanism by which you can improve the efficiency of your projects, allowing you to:
- Categorize tasks
- Filter tasks on the task dashboard
- Report on tasks
- Add dates to schedule tasks
- Adjust the Status of the Task.
- You may either use the default statuses (on the Basic plan) or you may leverage Custom Task Statuses (if the project is on a Pro plan or above). Read more about custom task statuses in this article.
Task attributes are outlined in deeper detail in this article
No matter the stage of your task, you can distribute it in 3 different ways: email it directly from Fieldwire, copy & paste the information, or export it as a PDF. This is useful to inform project members who are not utilizing Fieldwire:
Note: Each user can send no more than 50 Task Emails per-day. If you exceed this limit, you will not be able to send another task email until 24 hours have elapsed since the 50th email was sent:
Advanced Task Features
As your projects expand and you build up more and more tasks, we have developed a number of advanced features that allow you to manage tasks in a very time-efficient manner, such as:
Tutorial Video on Creating Tasks
Tutorial Video on Managing Tasks
Video Tutorial on Advanced Task Features
Tutorial on Exporting and Importing Tasks