The RFI Form Template is no longer being offered for Fieldwire customers as a default form template. Users can still create their own custom form templates for RFIs, but we invite you to check out our article on our new RFI project management module. If interested in the RFI PM module, please schedule a demo with our Sales team!
Note: If you are an existing customer, this will not affect existing projects. In addition, if you still want to use the old default form template on a new project, you can push the form template to the account level and then pull it into the new project by following the steps in this article, or you can clone an existing project and choose to copy form templates during the cloning process.
Overview & background
RFIs are designed to formally communicate questions with the design team, client, or general contractor that will likely affect the contract scope, drawings, and/or specifications. Using the Fieldwire app, you can quickly and conveniently create, discuss, and close RFIs on mobile or web.
Whether you are online, offline, in the office, or on-site, you can use the Fieldwire app to generate custom forms including RFI forms, or you can use our new RFI project management module. Within Fieldwire's RFIs you can:
- Populate general information such as date, where the RFI is occurring, and how it may impact the cost and schedule.
- Ask your RFI question, often from the field, take photos and make suggestions.
- Answer and close the RFI.
Completing an RFI
- Assignee - The person responsible for filling out the RFI at a given time. You have the option to re-assign the RFI to someone you might need input from.
- Status - When creating an RFI, the Status will default to "Draft".
- Due Date - The form creator can add a 'Due Date' to indicate the expected day the form will need to be completed by. Any assignee and the admin can update the date after the form has been created.
- Sent / Due / To / From - Mandatory fields to document when the RFI was sent, when there needs to be answer by, who will be sent the RFI, and who is sending the RFI.
- Ref. Drawings - Plan drawings that are related to the RFI.
- Ref. Specs - Open field to identify relevant section from spec book.
- Cost Impact / Schedule Impact - Estimate of what the RFI might cost and how it will affect the schedule. The checkbox contains options to mark the item as 'yes', 'no', or 'n/a'.
- Question - Mandatory field where the question and all additional information should be entered. For example, "The client requests to change the carpet color to navy blue in room 101."
- Suggestion - Optional field to add in a suggestion of how to handle the RFI.
- Attachments - Option to upload photos, existing photos, new files, existing files, and crop a plan in reference to the RFI.
- Submitted by - Drop-down list to communicate who filled out and submitted the RFI Question.
- Response - Open field to answer the RFI Question. For example, "Yes, we can change the carpet color to navy blue in room 101."
- Attachments - Option to upload photos, new files, existing files, crop a plan, and existing photos (Photos that are stored in your Photos Tab) in reference to the RFI. Note: If you choose to attach an "Existing photo", that photo will be shown again in the "Photos" tab since it is now associated with the Form. Note: You can upload files up to 200mb and photos up to 50mb.
- Answered by / Answered date - Drop Down list to communicate who actually answered the RFI and the date they did it.
- Refer to this article for information about notifications
- If you’re experiencing error messages due to unsynced or missing information, refer to this article
- If you're interested in learning about Fieldwire's other Form options, check out this article