Once a project is complete, you have a few options regarding how you can close out the project in Fieldwire. You can archive the project and/or export all your project content, or you can transfer ownership of the project to another individual and leave the project.
Note: If the project is under an Enterprise Plan, it cannot be transferred.
Archiving or deleting projects will not remove any hyperlinks that exist on plan, photo, file, report, or form exports.
This article will go through exporting project content, archiving and deleting a project, and transferring ownership of a project.
Table of Contents
- How to Export Project Content
- How to Archive or Delete a Project
- Transfer Project Ownership
How to Export Project Content
Exporting project content is an excellent way to save additional copies of your data when a project is complete or when you need to provide project content to a stakeholder. You can export all the information by exporting all the plans, photos, forms (if this is on a Business or Business Plus plan), and files. You can also generate a PDF or CSV report that will include all of the tasks.
Note: The project will need to be covered under a Pro plan, or above, in order to export project content. Any Project Admin can export multiple pieces of content at once, so be sure that a project Admin goes through the process outlined below.
Note: You are not currently able to export 3D models from Fieldwire.
The files will be sent via email as a downloadable link. Once you download the project content, you'll have individual plans, photos, forms, and files folders to your computer; you'll also have a .csv file of all of your tasks. You can then add these folders to a centralized project folder on your computer. Click on any of these sections to jump for more information on how to export plans, photos, forms, files, and task reports.
1. Start by Exporting all of your plans from the 'Plans' tab.
Tip: You can select every plan in the project by selecting the 'All Plans' folder.
When you export plans, you will be asked what layers, you'd like the plan to include. Be sure to check all of the contingent boxes that you would like to include on your plan exports:
You'll then be sent an email with a link to download the plans-- select the link to download a .Zip File of the selected plans:
Note: Live links, (hyperlinks) plan exports remain active when they are exported from Fieldwire. You'll need to ensure that you open that content in Acrobat Reader in order to access the content in the link.
Export Photos, Forms, and Files
2. Continue to export the contingent photos, forms (if on a Business or Business Plus plan), and files.
Note: When exporting forms, you will have the option to export them in a PDF or CSV format. If you select the PDF format, then it will export each form individually as a PDF. In contrast, a CSV format will be a single CSV with all the information from the forms.
Export Task Reports
3. To export your tasks, navigate to the 'Tasks' tab and choose to 'Generate Reports':
Choose to generate a .CSV, (or PDF) report with all project tasks:
Note: If you choose the 'CSV', or 'PDF Detailed' report, ensure that no attributes are isolated. Also, if you wish to include any deleted content, make sure you have the 'Deleted content' box checked.
4. The Plan, Photo, Form, and File exports, along with the Task Report, will be sent to your email. You'll select the link to begin to download a .zip file of the content:
Note: The project Exports will be sent as a .zip file. Most devices will automatically unzip the folders, but this is something that you might have to manually complete.
Please refer to the contingent links for information on how to 'unzip' a file:
5. Once unzipped, the plans, photos, forms, and files will be saved as unique folders on your desktop. The .CSV task report will be saved as a .CSV file. You can rename the folders based on what information they contain and move them to a new folder you created for the project:
From there, you'll have an additional copy of the project content for distribution outside of Fieldwire.
How to Archive or Delete a Project
Working on multiple projects at once can get overwhelming. This is why archiving, leaving, or deleting your projects can help you stay organized, On the Project dashboard (the first screen to appear upon signing in to your account) you will have these options.
1. Hover over the project, and select the emerging settings icon - this looks like a 'gear' on the project tile itself.
2. In the project settings, you have the option to Archive, Leave, or Delete the project.
- Archive: This option will hide your project on the project dashboard. When you archive, you are hiding the project for everyone who had access to it. You can unarchive the project at any point from the Project dashboard.
- Leave: This option would remove you from the project and remove the project from your project dashboard. This would provide ownership to another admin in the project. You can also do this if you don't have ownership of the project and no longer need to have access. If you leave a project, a project Admin will need to reinvite you. (Unless you are the owner of, or an Account Manager on, the account that owns the project.)
- Delete: This option will delete the project for everyone. Projects can only be restored by emailing 'firstname.lastname@example.org' with the project name.
NOTE: As of November 2023, if a project is deleted, plan sheets may be automatically deleted from the project database - which means that even if the Support team is able to restore the project, the plan sheets may no longer be present. Please exercise caution when deleting projects! If they are no longer necessary or are cluttering up your Projects tab, consider utilizing the Archive feature instead.
Hyperlinks in Exports will stay Active after a Project is Archived or Deleted
Archiving or deleting a project will not disrupt any hyperlinks that have been created when exporting plans, forms, or reports from that project.
The hyperlinks in the exported Plans, forms or reports do not redirect to the Fieldwire project but rather CloudFront, an AWS service utilized by Fieldwire to securely store and distribute your documents. When you export plans, forms, or reports from Fieldwire they are provided to you via a CloudFront link. The same goes for the hyperlinks that are created for photos or other files within your forms or reports.
Sharing a CloudFront link doesn't present any threat to your account security since every link is unique to the content it is linked to and doesn't provide access to any other files stored in Fieldwire.
Here is an example of a plan export link:
Here is an example of a photo hyperlink in a report that redirects to CloudFront:
Transfer Project Ownership
If archiving or deleting the project isn't an option, then you can transfer project ownership to another Admin in the project and then leave the project.
Reminder: If the project is under an Enterprise Plan, it cannot be transferred.
Please refer to the section below for information on how to do this from the project settings and project dashboard.
For more information on this process, feel free to review this article: How do I consolidate paid accounts or transfer ownership of a project?.
1. You can transfer project ownership to another Admin on the Project from the 'Settings' tab in the project. Just select the pertinent Admin from the drop-down menu.
2. You can also transfer project ownership to other users from the ‘project settings’ on the Project Dashboard. Hover your mouse over the Project Tile, select the 3 dots icon, and click "Settings".
Then, select the new admin to own the project from the drop-down menu.
3. Once you have established a new owner, you can leave the project. Hover over the project, select the 3 dots, click "Settings", and click 'Leave' to confirm: