Overview & background
The ability to quickly edit plan names can help with a variety of functions throughout Fieldwire.
It is important to have correct plan names to use various functions in Fieldwire.
This article contains two ways of editing plan names:
Why would I need to edit plan names?
|1. For automatic hyperlinks to activate, the plan names will need to match with the callouts exactly. If the OCR does not pick up the correct plan name, then editing the plan names ensures that the correct plan name will be indicated.|
2. Fieldwire's automatic versioning is dependent on plans with uniform titles. If plans do not have the same title, then the plans are considered different plans and will not version.
3. Including the plan descriptions helps you to search for plans.
Examples of correct and incorrect plan naming conventions
Note: In the Plans tab on Fieldwire 'Plan names' are referred to as 'Sheet numbers / #' and 'Sheet descriptions'.
Sheet #: matches callout
Description: on second line
Sheet #: does not match callout
Description: on same line as the sheet #
Sheet #: does not match callout
Sheet #: contains version
How to scan plans using OCR to batch rename
Rather than manually update each plan, Fieldwire's 'Scan Name / Description' function allows you to automatically update the sheet numbers and sheet descriptions in bulk.
Select the 'Plans' tab on the Web Version of Fieldwire.
Select the plans that you would like to rename by hovering your cursor over the plan thumbnail and clicking on the checkbox in the top left corner.
- Tip 1: Only select plans with the same title block.
- Tip 2: Select the checkbox next to a folder to choose all plans within that folder.
- Tip 3: Hold the 'shift' key to select multiple plans at once.
Select the 'Actions' button at the top of the page, then select 'Scan name/description' from the drop-down menu:
Resize the red boxes within the pop-up window to dictate where the plan number and description are located in the title block. Zoom in then drag the corners of the scan boxes to resize the red boxes to cover the relevant text.
- Tip 1: Ensure that the arrow runs in the direction of the text.
- Tip 2: Accurately size the boxes so that they contain the sheet number and description only.
- Tip 3: Try to re-size the boxes so no unintentional lines or text are included in the red zone.
Select 'Process' to begin the scan.
Tip: You can also uncheck the 'Plan #' or 'Description' boxes next to the 'Process' button if you want to limit the scan to one of these attributes.
When the scan is completed, your sheets should now have the correct names and descriptions. You can repeat this process as much as you like if need be.
Can I batch edit plan names, tags, and descriptions?
If you would like to manually edit multiple sheet names at once (this can be handy if your project does not have many plans, or if you only need to adjust a few sheet names) you can perform a similar action from the 'Plans' tab.
Navigate to the 'Plans' tab and select the plans to edit.
Select the red 'Actions' button, then select 'Batch edit'.
A pop-up window will appear containing the Sheet #, Description, and relevant Plan Tags on the selected plan. You are able to adjust each as you see fit.
After you adjust each, select the 'Save' button to confirm the changes and update the Plans.
These articles will provide a few more troubleshooting tips and provide insight into the importance of having uniform plan names.